Iyengar's difficulty rating: 2* out of 60*
- Begin in Virasana (Hero Pose).
- On an exhale, lean back and place your elbows on the floor. Lift your neck and chest. Arch your spine into extension and rest only the crown of your head on the floor.
- Hold your L upper arm near the elbow with your R hand, and vice versa. Rest your folded arms on the floor behind your head.
- Remain in this shape for 60 seconds with even breathing.
- Iyengar has a much deeper bend in his lumbar spine, whereas I am keeping my spine shallower and longer. Part of this has to do with the differences in the actual length of our spines, but it may also indicate that he has a different level of spinal elasticity and erector strength.